Website latest update on July 2, 2019
In space radiation environment (similarly to other radiation environments), electronic devices undergo radiation damage induced by both cumulative and single event effects, i.e.,
- single event effects (SEE) - due to a highly ionizing dose deposition caused by a single high energy particle occurring in a sensitive region of a device - can occur at any time and with short time response;
- total ionizing dose (TID) effects - due to the accumulation of ionizing dose deposition over a long time - are a long term effects and uniformly affect all devices;
- displacement damage (TNID) effects – due to the accumulation of crystal lattice defects over a long time – are long term effects and uniformly affect all devices
At national level a certain number of industrial and institutional/research assets and centers in the field of EEE need to be coordinated, supported and represented at international level.
Italy has a long experience in the field of electronics devices design, manufacturing and utilization for various market sectors and in particular for Space. For instance, in the last years some project have been implemented in the field of GaAs/GaN EEE for consolidating the presence of the National GaN supply chain in the european context, thus achieving the role of second european source.
In the above context, the core elements of the supply chain are the availability of dedicated infrastructures like foundries, design centers, testing facilities and research centers and, finally, irradiation facilities.
Furthermore, it is worth to remark that the knowledge of space radiation environment, in general, is a driving element for:
- focusing the investigation of radiation damage,
- developing treatment/transport/simulation tools, and modelling particle fluxes and their transport to predict the expected operating conditions in space ratiation environment,
- evaluating radiation impact on devices and their qualification, in view of their operation in space for both orbital and deep space missions.
ASIF agreement was established based on the consolidated concept that the development of future generation of EEE components is or is expected to be a key strategic area of interest for future investments.